The Bank of New Zealand Dannevirke was originally constructed in 1915. It is a two storied building with the bank on the ground floor and had the living quarters for the manager upstairs. It was designed in a classical style typical of New Zealand bank buildings of the period. The main facades incorporate Corinthian columns, while the main doorway is flanked with Ionic columns. The banking chamber is lit by a large dome, which is in turn complemented by the patterned ceiling. The lower part of the walls are finished with smooth plaster while the top third is clad with embossed zinc. Upstairs in the former managers quarters there are two large sash leadlight windows, one above the first landing and the other above the second. These windows are intricately decorated and add interest to an otherwise plain staircase. The embossed ceilings have approximately seven different designs. The interior of the banking chamber was completely renovated in 1982. The interior was again refurbished and living quarters upstairs were incorporated in a staff room, storage and toilets.
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980.
This bank has contributed much to the commercial history of the area. Dannevirke was the sixth office to be opened by the Bank of New Zealand in Hawkes Bay. It played a significant role in servicing the commercial needs of the surrounding district. In addition, this building has survived several serious earthquakes.
It has had significant upgrades over time for earthquake strength. The bank has an appropriately Classical design for what was one of the towns principal commercial buildings. Of the seventeen Charlesworth banks this is one of his most impressive. This is a fine architectural statement in a prosperous small town in a rich pastoral and agricultural district. With its prominent corner siting it makes an important visual statement of commercial stability.
We are selling by Negotiation, there is also an opportunity to purchase the existing business currently running inside